(Subject to minor changes as event nears and disciplines are fine-tuned).
Team Mandatory Gear: Items you MUST have with you during the times specified below. Mandatory gear will be randomly checked during the race. 1 per team of each item.
- Cell phone with dry bag (for emergency use only)
- First aid kit
- Waterproof map case or means to keep maps/instructions dry
- Mini bike pump or CO2 (for all bike portions)
- Tool kit for repairs, e.g. changing flat/chain repair (for all bike portions)
Individual Mandatory Gear: Items you MUST have with you during the times specified below. Mandatory gear will be randomly checked during the race.
- Bike – mountain bikes are highly recommended for 8-hour racers as portions of the race will be on single track trails.
- Flashing red tail light
- Bike helmet
- Spare bike tube
- Backpack or means to carry all gear
- Hydration system to carry at least 50oz of water
- Space blanket
- Food to last duration of race
Mandatory Individual Paddling Gear:
- Canoes, paddles, and PFDs will be provided
- All racers must use the canoes provided by the race. 8-hour racers may bring their own paddles and/or PFDs which will be transported by race staff, or may use the canoe paddles and/or PFDs provided by the race. PFDs must be Type I, II, or III.
Recommended Gear: Items we recommend you have to either help you be more comfortable, more safe, or more proficient during the race. It is possible to complete this race if you do not have “Recommended” items, but you might regret not bringing them.
- Long sleeve synthetic shirt
- Writing utensil
- Warm hat
- Waterproof jacket
- Long pants/tights
- Bike gloves
- Bike odometer
- Extra change of clothes
- Dry bag
- Bug spray
- Bike patch kit
- Duct tape
- Tape for map planning (not necessary for racing)
- Bike lock
Forbidden Gear: Hey! It’s Adventure Racing! These are items you CANNOT use at any time during the race. These include, but are not limited to, any device with GPS tracking or transmission capabilities, any type of smart phone/device used to access the internet or any information not provided in the race packet, any type of camera used to record answers to race questions, and any type of motorized assistance. Please use common sense!
- Communication devices other than sealed cell phone for emergency use
- Motorized means of transportation